Happy 2023! If you are thinking about the year ahead and what you would like to do this year, then how about getting more involved with your community? Giving your time through volunteering is a great way to have new experiences and try doing things you may not have done before – all while you are making a difference to the world around you.
What is volunteering
Quite simply, volunteering is about giving your time. This can take many different forms, such as:
- Helping out an elderly neighbour
- Taking on a role in a local group
- Giving a day’s time to take part in an event
Volunteering can be a regular commitment, but it doesn’t have to be. There are many short-term or one-off opportunities.
Volunteering is good for you
Research shows that connecting with others and the act of giving are two of the key factors that help improve our well-being. Volunteering is good for you – as well as the community around you.
Tips for find the right opportunity for you:
- Think about how much time you want to give. Are you looking for a regular commitment or something short-term. What days and times work best for you? Regular opportunities don’t have to be frequent – trustee boards, for example, typically meet every two months, with some work in between.
- What causes are close to your heart? Think about where and how do you want to make a difference.
- What you would like to get out of volunteering? You might want to meet new people, learn new skills, use skills or experience you have, or just get out of the house. Any reason is valid.
- Think about what you don’t want to do.
Resolve to give your time today